The Woodward Class formed in 1806 following the second great revival on the Northumberland Circuit. The first presiding elder was Martin Carothers. In June 1854 a plot of ground was purchased from Daniel and Priscilla Wise for $20 and shortly thereafter a frame church was erected. Before that time, preaching services were held in the Wise, Fox, Mark and Hennig homes and in the old schoolhouse north of the village.
In 1871 a fire burned down the building and all records pertaining to it, but the class nobly set themselves to rebuilding immediately. This congregation known as St. John’s worshiped here until the division in the denomination when another congregation, Woodward Grace United Evangelical (photo), was formed, building dedicated in 1895. Woodward St. John’s was served by their pastor as part of the Rebersburg Charge. Grace remained part of the Millheim charge. The denominational split was healed in 1922 and in 1929 the two congregations came together, meeting in the Grace Church. On Nov. 3, 1957 “Grace” changed its name to “Trinity” and dedicated its facility purchased a year before, formerly a three-room public-school house renovated to add an entrance and steeple, which continues to serve worshippers today.